Copyright © HIV Community Link 2016. All rights reserved.
Shift Program Services Include:
- Counseling: Personal relationships, work/life balance, addiction(s), trauma, emotional health and wellness
- Short-term (crisis) or long-term (case management) support
- Free safer sex supplies: Condoms (all types), lube, dental dams
- Employment and retraining support: Resume building, career exploration, interview skills, education/training planning support
- Advocacy: Social benefits (financial, health care), Child and Family Services, etc.
- Practical supports: Basic needs – laundry, food, toiletries, emergency funding, community referrals etc.
- Legal Support: Court accompaniment, legal information (referrals), pardon and victim compensation application support
- Escort/Massage/Entertainment licensing information and support
- Sexual health information, HIV/STI testing and low-cost contraception referrals
- Working safely: "Bad Date" reporting, safer working strategies (date screening, condom negotiation)
- Referrals: Mental health support, addiction treatment, housing, financial support, etc.
- Education: Community presentations about sex work and related issues for individuals, partners, and allies
- Accessibility: Wheelchair accessible and gender-neutral washrooms in the drop-in space
Shift’s services are non-judgmental, free, and easy to access. All services are confidential, and real names and other personal information is not required to access our program. Shift is not an "exit-based" program - this means that you don't have to want to get out of the industry to access our services. We work on helping you leave the industry only if this is something you identify you want or are ready for.
Shift works with you to identify your goals and needs, and then supports you with obtaining the tools and resources needed to achieve them. These supports can be things like counseling, education, advocacy, and skills development - or practical supports such as housing, safety, referrals, food, and emergency funding. We can also work with you around sex work specific issues such as obtaining escort/massage licensing, managing personal relationships, working safely (date screening, condom negotiation), and exiting the industry.